Monday, August 17, 2009

MERDEKA TROPHY 16 AUG 2009


Well what can I say having played a daunting long course at UPM on Saturday morning under the hot sun and scored only 93, I wasn't really looking forward to my game on the Sunday morning at Monterez.

Woke up early to watch the 3rd day of the 91st US PGA with Tiger leading by 1 stoke ahead of "Paddy" Harington somewhat made me feel good. It was like a good sign saying it is going to be a good day.

Arrived at Monterez to register there I saw my name teeing off at hole 7 par 4 (shot gun tee-off 8.00am). The minute the lady at the registration cancelled out my name as it was placed last in the flight I knew I was the highest handicap among the foursome. I thought to myself... "darn I'm playing againts the tough nuts". True enough the other three players were handicap 9, 12, and 13 where as here I was a happy go lucky 15 handicapper.

The first hole (hole 7) made me miss my par putt to finish with a bogey. But what made me thought it is going to be a long day after i DOUBLE PARRED hole no 8 par 4. I could almorst see the other guys sniggering and one of them even said "don't worry young man many holes left to score better". I didn't know how to react on a hole I usually play so well. So I moved to the next par 4 hole no. 9. This ladies and gentlemen was indeed the turning point and the start of should I say my own history being made....

Drove the ball beautifully with about less than 70 metres...YESSS that was how far I drove the ball well actually because it bounced off the buggy track. So, I took my 60 degrees titleist spin milled magic wedge and guess what it hit the pin and made a 3 foot BIRDIE!!! As they say the rest is history...look at my scores on the following holes:

Hole 10 (Par 5) = PAR
Hole 11 (Par 4) = PAR
Hole 12 (Par 3) = PAR
Hole 13 (Par 5) = BIRDIE
Hole 14 (Par 4) = PAR

I shan't go on the rest of the holes but put it this way a 15 handicapper scoring 79 gross with a stableford points of 43. Finishing with 2 birdies and I lost count th enumber of pars hehehehe. It was a partnership unfortunately my beloved F-I-L who is a single handicapper did not do too well this time around. So individually i finished 3rd under the MEDAL B as the runner up and winner managed 44 and 45 points respectively. And to top off a wonderful day my handicap was cut from 15 down to THIRTEEN!!!.....

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin